African Culinary Adventure Itinerary
The itinerary has been slighted altered since I went on the tour, and in my opinion, it’s for the better. In fact, I’m kind of jealous! I may just have to do this trip again…
- Arrive at Cape Town International Airport where you will be transferred to Zevenwacht Wine Estate for a welcome drink in the Wine Cellar.
- If you arrive before lunch, you can enjoy a light lunch or make a reservation for The Manor House Restaurant for lunch. This is on your own account.
- Settle into your room. Situated in the heart of Zevenwacht’s picturesque vineyards, the Country Inn offers guests luxuriously appointed, air-conditioned suites, each with its own private terrace and uninterrupted view of Table Bay and False Bay.
Facilities at the Country Inn include a club house, swimming pool, tennis court and sauna. Take a rest before you are given a guided tour of one of South Africa’s Trophy Wine Estates. Both Alison and Sidney played a major role during the infancy days of Zevenwacht.
- After the tour we have a Cape Malay Dinner by Zevenwacht Lake where Sidney will share with you some of the Cape Malay Culinary secrets.
- After breakfast we will depart for Cape Town and travel up to what is known as one of the most beautiful sights in the world, Table Mountain. We will take a cable car up the mountain and enjoy the panoramic view and walk on the mountain.
- A Trekkers Picnic Lunch will be served on top of Table Mountain.
- After lunch we take a trip to Cape Town’s V&A Waterfront, now one of Africa’s most popular tourist destinations, within a stone’s throw from the Cape Town Stadium and in the heart of Cape Town’s working harbor. The V&A Waterfront offers the visitor an abundance of unforgettable experiences. Indoor shopping and entertainment venues seamlessly merge with ocean vistas and mountain views and the fresh sea breeze and warm African sun add zest to a cosmopolitan, vibrant atmosphere. More than 80 restaurants bring a fusion of international food, from rustic al fresco fish and chips to starched tablecloth cuisine.
As you have the afternoon free, you may wish to take the advantage of this time and take a boat trip to Robben Island which needs no introduction with regards to the significance of its place in South Africa’s and indeed the world’s history. As “home” to one of the world’s most famous prisoners, statesmen and leaders in Nelson Mandela, Robben Island is quite possibly the most well-known prison on the planet. Should you wish to take this trip, it will be for your own account.
- After breakfast you will enjoy a morning cookery class with Sidney and Alison, where you will experience the roots of what is one of the most exciting culinary areas of the world, Cape Malay Cookery.
- For lunch today we will visit Boschendal Wine Estate. We will languish in the summer afternoon at the very popular ‘Le Pique Nique’ on the famous Pavilion lawns immersed in the breath-taking beauty of the mountains and vineyards.
- After lunch we explore The Capes most exciting vinyards and taste some of what may arguably be called the best wines in the world, including Kanonkop Pinotage.
- We enjoy dinner in the wine lands.
- We depart early morning for Cape Town Airport for our flight to Namibia.
- Upon arrival at the Hosea Kutako International Airport you will be met by Swenja, a representative of our Namibian partners who will transfer us to the capital city of Namibia, Windhoek.
- You will be dropped off at the Namibia Arts and Craft centre, while Sidney collects our vehicle, and visit the local Craft Centre.
- Driving north towards Etosha National Park via Okahandja and Otjiwarongo. Your Lodge accommodation is situated only 25 kilometres from one of Namibia’s major attractions, the Etosha National Park in the heart of the bush veldt.
- ‘Road Lunch’ on route.
- Check into our Etosha Lodge and relax in the African bush setting.
- Tonight’s dinner will be a buffet in the lodge restaurant.
- An early rise with breakfast to be served at 06:00 then depart from the lodge around 06h30 in an open game viewing vehicle for a full day guided game drive in Etosha National Park with picnic lunch.
- Return to the lodge late afternoon and enjoy an African sunset.
- Tonight you will be treated, by the lodge, to a local traditional “colonial” African Braai.
- Early breakfast followed by a Half day Game drive into Etosha National Park for more game-viewing; visiting the different waterholes that support a rich diversity of mammals and birds. Some of these include rare and endangered species such as black-faced impala, roan, black rhino as well as the elusive eland, the largest antelope on earth.
- We will have picnic lunch packs to be enjoyed in the park.
- Return to the lodge, where you can relax around the pool, venture out on an unguided walking trail or simply enjoy the Namibian sun.
- Alison and Sidney will serve you sundowner snacks around the pool.
- Tonight you partake in hands on “participation” dinner over an open fire – “learn to cook like a local”.
- Depart from our Etosha Lodge after an early breakfast, travelling south via Otjiwarongo to Okonjima; home to The AfriCat Foundation.
- Enjoy the lunch that the lodge has prepared.
- Embark on a large carnivore tracking on foot with an Okonjima guide.
- Afterwards you can relax around the pool or just enjoy a Sundowner overlooking the Veld and Waterhole.
- Dinner at the lodge
- After a 6am Coffee and Muffins you will get a chance to participate on an educational guided bushman walk. It constitutes an easy walking trail and is highly informative. You will learn about the art of making traditional artefacts and how the San People adapt and survive in an unforgiving wilderness environment.
- After the bushman walk, you will have brunch at the lodge.
- Our Culinary Adventure will then take us on a Flavours of Africa cooking adventure, where we are joined by some of Okonjima’s Chefs who share their passion for cooking, by joining us.
- Enjoy Dinner at the lodge after cooking
- Early departure from Okonjima, drive back to Windhoek
- Enjoy lunch at a local traditional Namibian restaurant
- Visit Penduka “In the living village, you can take part in different activities organized and see Traditional habits in combination with new techniques.
- Depart Windhoek, drive out to San Karros – Daan Viljoen
- Participation in Bushman Fondue as our farewell dinner.
- Departure – An early rise this morning, with a transfer pick up at 05:30, after breakfast; that will take you to the Windhoek International Airport for your departure flight to Cape Town.