One can return from Mexico with an assortment of things – another tourist t-shirt, illegal prescriptions, illicit drugs, Montezuma’s revenge, the clap, dysentery, yellow fever, malaria, parasites, etc. Fortunately, my wife didn’t come home with any of those from her trip to Puebla, Mexico. I mean, like I really need another t-shirt… Instead, she came home with a few bottles of tequila and a new drink recipe – The Mexican Margarita.
I know what you are thinking. Aren’t all Margaritas Mexican? Why yes, they are. But not all Margaritas are “Mexican”. Think tacky, think lowrider, think Fu Manchu mustache, think frizzy halter top, think tacky modern western wear button down with a rhinestone cross, think… Mexican!
What follows is a recipe that is easy to make, low on calories, tasty, and good for a quick drink. It’s been our go-to this summer for the pool or a quick happy hour drink on a Friday evening.
- Drink ware – Anything from a Tom Collins glass to a red solo cup to a Bubba Keg (we prefer the Bubba Keg)
- Fesca citrus flavored soda
- Silver Tequila (our favorite lately has been Milagro)
What’s not needed:
- Gay glass
- Salt for the rim
- Triple Sec (Or Grand Marnier if you are Aunt Alice and drink “Cadillac” Margaritas. Who drinks “Cadillac” Margaritas anyway? And who the fuck is Alice?)
- Syrups (simple or agave)
- Multiple types of fresh citrus fruit
Assembly will vary depending on the quantity you are drinking. We normally mix two shots of tequila per can of Fresca. So, if you are going with a Tom Collins glass which hold roughly a half a can, you would use one shot. If you are going balls out with Bubba, two cans and four shots baby!
- Toss the ice into your drinking vessel
- Add tequila
- Add Fresca
- Flick in a lime wedge